Directing Workshop - Atonement

In our directing workshop on Monday, we were shown a clip of Atonement without hearing the sound as we were looking at the different shots and what we could tell from the way it had been framed. This showed me that choosing what type of shot you're going to use is really important because they can show the audience the tone and atmosphere of the scene without the aid of sound. 




I leant that being a director means that you have to be able to communicate with lots of different people as there will be many people looking at the director, waiting to be told what to do. I think that as a director on this project, I could have been more instructive to my actors and given them more information about what I wanted them to do.  Although I got most of the shots I wanted in the time we were given, I found it difficult to work with a director of photography because I found myself making adjustments on the camera and not trusting that they would be able to capture the shots I wanted. 

After this workshop, I went back to my shot lists and storyboards to see if I could change some of my shots to make them more suited to the scene. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing a Script

Scott and Bailey - TV Drama

PRE-PRODUCTION • Director of Photography | Research