Self Portrait Idea

    For my self portrait film, I want to try and make it in the visual style of film noir. This is a style I have not tried before but something I have been researching into recently. I have found some of the conventions to be:
    • low-key lighting (chiaroscuro)
    • unbalanced compositions
    • high contrast
    • alienated protagonist 
    • shadows  (Venetian blinds)
    • wide angle lens
    • dutch angle
    • low angle shots 
    • Characters reflection in a mirror 
    • raining, damp streets
    • urban settings - city, alleyways, docks, seaside
    • closeup and deep focus (depth of field)
    • reflections and faces obscured through objects 

    FILMING

    When filming my self portrait film, I want to use lots of different and unusual shots, for example a dutch angle, which is often used in film noir to put the audience at unease and make it uncomfortable for them to watch.

    SOUND
    • Melancholy downbeat music (Jazz)
    • Heavy breathing
    • Use of quite and silence
    • Often discordant and grating music 
    • Sudden noises
    • Voice over of protagonist
    • Sound effects and ambiance of the city and suburbia
    When I record the sound for my video, I will make use of the natural sounds from my seaside location such as the sea, seagulls, and the sound of crowds of people.
    Whistable Beach

    EDITING
    • non-linear start at the end, then tell the story in flashbacks
    • often shot day for night using filters
    • use continuity editing generally
    • can and did use jump cuts and jarring juxtaposition
    • occasional use of a close up to then move out to reveal the action 
    ICONOGRAPHY

    The typical location of a noir film is normally set in abandoned areas, such as warehouses, alleyways, empty streets. It is often raining and foggy giving the film a dark and gloomy atmosphere. Within the film, the regular use of cantered angles and low lighting add to the gloomy feeling of the noir genre.Heavy Jazz music is normally used within noir films to give the film an edge of sophistication but mystery as well, however because I am not allowed to use music, I am going to make it so that the jazz music can be heard as the character walks past a restaurant or shop as it is a well known convention of film noir and I want to include as many of the traditional conventions as I can.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Writing a Script

    Scott and Bailey - TV Drama

    PRE-PRODUCTION • Director of Photography | Research