The Green Mile

Moments can be big or they can be small, and depending on the person, a moment can differ.  I chose my moment from The green mile (1999), originally a novel written by Stephen king but adapted into a film. The majority of the film is a long flashback of the year 1932, it follows Paul Edgecomb as a death-row supervisor on what they call the 'green mile'. 

The moment I chose from this film is what I believe to be one of the most powerful moments in the film. John Coffey, an offender on death row possesses magical powers where he can bring people and animals back to life. Throughout the film, the officers discover that John is an innocent man and didn't commit the crimes he's being punished for. When it comes to the day that John is being executed, all the characters are emotional as they have gotten to know and respect him, in the last scene before he dies, Paul Edgecomb walks up and shakes his hand as john sits in the chair. This moment reveals all the characters emotions and is a perfect way to end Coffey's character. It shows a different perspective of prisoners and doesn't stereotype them all as cold-hearted killers.
 

  
In my script, I want to work towards a moment similar to this in terms of sparking an emotion in my audience, whether it be anger or sadness; I want to create a moment they will remember.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing a Script

Scott and Bailey - TV Drama

PRE-PRODUCTION • Director of Photography | Research