PRODUCTION • Title Sequence | Development

After receiving the feedback from our pre-production package, there were some changes that I had already decided on that I wanted to make to the title sequence. As I watched back the video I felt as though I could definitely add a few more aspects to the characters and the background which would enhance the video and add in some more elements from our story and the characters personalities.

The first idea I had was changing their animated faces to actual images of our actors. I saw this used in other title sequences such as the Big Fat Quiz of the Year and on a children’s television programme titled “All Over the Place”. These both incorporate the idea of combining animation and real footage to add to the title sequences. I personally really like this style and want to try and take aspects of this to incorporate into the Young & Famous opening titles.

CBBCs All Over The Place



To do this, I asked Laura to set aside some time to take some pictures of our actors in front of a green screen during our first script table read when we had everyone in. We had already planned to take images for our posters during this time so we just extended this to allow for me to take a few more pictures.

From these, I then took the images into Photoshop and begin to edit them, removing the green screen background and adding a white border around the faces to make them stand out against the animation when they are put into after effect. This process can be seen in the video below and shows me editing the chosen image of our actor Susan who plays Betty.



I did this for all the characters that feature in the title sequence and I also did one of our character Betty as I had another idea and way of incorporating her into the opening titles as she is one of our regularly recurring characters.

For Betty, I wanted to have her appear on the screen while Annie & Dean are on the red carpet to add to this sequence and make it more visually interesting. For this, my initial idea was to have her pop up into shot from one side of the screen, opposite to the side where the animated paparazzi camera is on screen and taking photos of Annie and Dean. There are 2 cameras that appear on screen, both at different times and opposite sides of the screen so my idea to have 1 camera and Betty appear on screen and then when they disappear and the second camera is animated on screen to have Arnold, Betty’s robotic can also appear on screen with the second camera. The images below show an example of what I am trying to do and help with the explanation.





With these images, I will take them to our next production meeting with the team and explain this new idea to see how everyone else feels about the idea. If we are all in agreement that it will work for our characters and style for the show then my next step will be to go ahead and edit these two new characters into the title sequence.

One other adjust I want to make in the title sequence is to make the actors name more prominent in the title sequence, I feel as though the ones I put in the 1st draft were not prominent enough and were almost redundant therefore I want to find a way to make them stand out more but without being obnoxious and too big. 

So far I am happy with the development the title sequence has taken on and think that by us as a group having constant meetings with each other and watching the most updated versions of them will help us to get it looking exactly the way we want and will allow us to combine all our ideas together to make it the best we can.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing a Script

Scott and Bailey - TV Drama

PRE-PRODUCTION • Director of Photography | Research