PRODUCTION • Editor Role | Research


When I began researching the role of an editor there were many industry websites that had lots of information about what an editors role entails and the kinds of responsibilities they have. I have read a few times that the editor works closely with the director to keep their vision for the film and put together the footage in a sequence which will eventually create the finished project. Due to me being the DOP during production, I aim to organise the footage on my hard drive in a way that will make the beginning of the editing process much easier for me. On some productions, daily rushes are created from the footage, however, this is not something that I will be able to do, due to the fact that after one shoot day I will be spending my time preparing my DOP responsibilities for the next day. 

"Because scenes are shot and edited out of sequence, Editors may work on scenes from the end of the film before those at the beginning, and must, therefore, be able to maintain a good sense of how the story is unfolding." 


I understand the importance of this as, we have also planned to film out scenes out of sequence, however, due to the fact that I am also the DOP on the production, I should be very familiar with the order in which the scenes go and the order in which they will be filmed. We have planned for 2 separate shoot weeks with some time in between. This will allow me to begin the edit of the scenes that we have filmed, and then, later on, add in the missing scenes after our next few shoot days. 

"The Editor works closely with the Director, crafting the daily rushes into a coherent whole." 

The director and I have already established the way in which we want to work together in order to edit the production and have agreed on our workflow. Having this plan means that when we get to the stage, we can go straight into editing without having to discuss how we are going to organise ourselves. The director is also the sound editor on the production so it's key that we communicate well and keep each other up to date at all stages of the edit. It is recommended that the editor is in constant communication with the team through the pre-production and production stages of the project which I did as I was also working on the project as the DOP. It will be important for me to remember which role I am taking at the different stages and my responsibilities are for each role. 

The role of an editor is just as important as any other role in the production as they play a large part in bringing together the whole production. One thing that I need to remember is that it is just as key as my DOP role and I should allocate enough time to both in order to do my best work in both roles. 



(Creative Skillset, 2018) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing a Script

Scott and Bailey - TV Drama

PRE-PRODUCTION • Director of Photography | Research