PRODUCTION • Credits | Research & Development

For the credits of Young & Famous, we wanted to try and do something that would not only fit with the theme of the show but would also be just as interesting to watch as the rest of the video as credits can often be skipped through.
The main things that I needed to include were
  • The names of all cast & crew members
  • The name of the show again
  • Our production company name at the end
  • The UCA end card so people know where it was made.
From looking at the credits of other sitcoms, I found that they often used standard credits that would continuously cut to the next page of new credits which sometimes incorporated stills from the episode or images of the characters. I have chosen to take these ideas from my research and included them into our idea for the credits which not only showcase all our cast and crew but do so in an interesting and fun way that fits with the theme of our show.
THE IDEA:
For our credits, I decided that it would be fitting to include in the idea of Instagram into our credits as it is regularly mentioned within the show. My initial idea was to have each actor come up with an Instagram picture and to have comments appear from characters below. When thinking more into and looking again at previous examples, I felt that this would be too complicated, not just for me to make but for an audience when watching as credits move relatively fast therefore there would not be sufficient time for the audience to take in all the information.
From deciding this, I then went on to develop the idea, still using the Instagram theme but making something much simpler and easier for an audience to take in and see the detail that is being shown. This new idea will have an image of each actor with their name and character name below, e.g. ‘John Smith as David’. This idea takes into account traditional scrolling credits by having each Instagram image and name scroll onto the screen, pause for a period of time once in the centre of the screen so the image and name can be seen and then scroll off screen again which will then be followed by the next one.

I chose to edit this in After Effects because I felt that from previous experience using this software that this would give me the most editing options and I find the layout and design of the programme easy to use. It also gives me the option to add a motion blur to the moving elements of the project which makes the transitions and movements look sleek and smooth.
Using photoshop, I designed all the elements taking inspiration from Instagram and the layout of the social media site. I wanted to make sure that each key cast member had their own image and separate name as well as the producer, director and DOP. For the extras and our extra, I decided to group some of these together - this reduced the length of the credits massively as they were becoming extremely long. The overall length of the credits once fully completed should be around 30 seconds which is in keeping with the title sequence also being around 30 seconds.
Below are some images of the different pages that will feature in the credits:








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing a Script

Scott and Bailey - TV Drama

PRE-PRODUCTION • Director of Photography | Research